The Huawei Ideos X5 (U8800) was announced last December just as Android 2.3 Gingerbread was officially unveiled alongside the Samsung-made Google Nexus S. And unfortunately for Ideos X5 owners, the smartphone still runs Android 2.2 Froyo even now, almost a whole year after that.
But here’s some good news. You won’t be celebrating the one-year anniversary of the Ideos X5′s announcement with Froyo. Huawei has finally decided that it may be time to update the Ideos X5 to Android 2.3 Gingerbread, and the Chinese company even plans to release the update before the end of this month – at least in the UK.
It’s unclear if the update will see a global rollout immediately, or if Ideos X5 owners outside of the UK will have to wait some more. Let’s hope that’s not going to be the case, for their sake.
Apparently Huawei already has a Gingerbread update for the U8800+, a model derived from the U8800 Ideos X5 and which it closely resembles. However, that particular software won’t run on the plain-old Ideos X5, so you absolutely have to wait a few more weeks to get your first taste of Gingerbread.
As for Ice Cream Sandwich, you probably shouldn’t get your hopes up. It’s unlikely to ever land (officially, at least) on your Huawei Ideos X5. And anyway, you probably wouldn’t have wanted to wait another year to get that update.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Huawei U8800 Ideos X5 has received the update to Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- Huawei Ideos X5 U8800 Pro gets Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 2.3 Gingerbread for Huawei U8800 Ideos X5 Pro now available for download
- Huawei Ideos X5 and X6 with Android Froyo officially announced (in Australia)
- Huawei Ideos now available in the UK for £149.99 SIM-free