In October, Rockstar Games announced that they would bring Grand Theft Auto III to select smartphone devices. Fans rejoiced around the world as Grand Theft Auto III was the original game of the GTA series to follow the third-person sandbox experience which was set as the standard with all of the games later on. Today, Rockstar mentioned that the game would be available on Dec. 15th for $5 on select Android and iOS devices.
The game will be available on the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPhone 4, and original iPad for the iOS platform. The game will likely run better on the iPhone 4S and iPad 2 since the game was originally only meant for dual-core devices,but Rockstar optimized the game for the iPhone 4 and iPad as well. The list of compatible Android smartphones include the HTC Rezound, T-Mobile G2X, LG Optimus 2x, Motorola Atrix 4G, Motorola Droid X2, Motorola Photon 4G, and Samsung Galaxy R. The following tablets will also be compatible: Acer Iconia, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Dell Streak 7, LG Optimus Pad, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1, Sony Tablet S, Toshiba Thrive.
The game will likely do well on the iOS Appstore and the Android Marketplace due to the low price and extensive amount of gameplay. The very large GTA fan base also helps. Other game studios should follow Rockstar’s lead and put some of their older games on smartphone app stores.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sprint’s iPad Mini, iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 offered for $100 less to new smartphone buyers
- LG Optimus G2 coming with Snapdragon 800 CPU?
- Hulu Plus update for Android adds compatibility on 9 new devices
- LG’s Android tablet will be called Optimus Pad
- Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie updates coming to Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy S4, S III and others