In November last year, HTC let us know that some of its Android-powered smartphones would certainly receive updates to Ice Cream Sandwich, the newest version of Google’s mobile operating system. The devices listed then were the HTC Sensation (and Sensation 4G), Sensation XL, Sensation XE, Rezound, Amaze 4G, Evo Design 4G, and the Evo 3D.
Until now we haven’t heard anything else from the Taiwanese company, but today its Turkish arm took to Facebook to publish a neat table with details about which handset will get the update when. However, the photo isn’t accessible anymore, which may be a temporary glitch, or it was removed. Make of that what you wish.
First of all, the HTC Evo 3D is listed as having been updated in December 2011, which didn’t happen, so take this with a grain of salt (or, alternatively, allow for some other delays too).
According to this, the HTC Sensation, Amaze 4G, Sensation XE, Sensation XL, Rezound, Evo Design 4G, and Vivid will all get their taste of ICS in January. As in, this month.
The HTC Thunderbolt’s update is also confirmed for the first quarter of 2012 (though nothing more specific), and that’s about it. If you have another HTC Android smartphone, the fact that it’s going to receive ICS hasn’t been confirmed yet by the manufacturer. Which means it may, or it may not, but in any case, don’t expect anything to happen soon (or sooner than Q2, we’d guess). Again it’s tough luck for the midrange and low-end of the market it seems. Hang in there though.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Incredible 2, Rhyme, and Raider will all get Ice Cream Sandwich updates
- HTC’s official list of phones upgradeable to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich contains no Desire Z, no Flyer
- First HTC devices to get ICS? Sensation, Sensation XE and 4G at the end of March. Others to follow
- HTC Rezound, Amaze 4G, Sensation and others confirmed to get Android Ice Cream Sandwich
- New T-Mobile HTC Amaze 4G software update brings Google Music, Wi-Fi calling