Believe it or not, despite the fact that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich has been out for a while, an update to Gingerbread is big news. That’s because it’s only today that AT&T’s Samsung Captivate has finally received its update to Android 2.3. More than a year after Gingerbread was unveiled. And significantly later than any other version of Samsung’s Galaxy S (for the Captivate is basically AT&T’s version of Samsung’s ubiquitous device).
It’s not all good news though. You’ll need to perform the update using a computer, as it’s not over-the-air. Yesteryear’s update methods for what should have been yesteryear’s updates – fitting, no? So get ready to install Samsung’s Kies on your computer and follow the neatly detailed update instructions which Samsung has published here.
Aside from all the usual Gingerbread bits and blobs, this update also comes with fixes for Gmail and YouTube, and the addition of Voice Search to search categories. Developers will also be pleased to find some back-end enhancements which enable better gameplay on the smartphone.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4G Android 2.3 Gingerbread update now available
- US Cellular Samsung Mesmerize gets a bug fixing update
- Verizon LG Revolution Android 2.3 Gingerbread update on its way
- T-Mobile’s Springboard and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus get their ICS fix today and tomorrow
- Telus Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 4G Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread update now available