Sony Ericsson (or should we say, just Sony) announced the Xperia Ion during CES earlier this month. Back then we found out only that the phone would be headed to AT&T sometime in the future.
If you’re impatient and don’t mind buying unlocked phones, you can now pre-order an Xperia Ion in the US. Online retailer Negri Electronics has put the handset up for pre-order, and the price is $569.50. Unfortunately no shipping date is attached yet, so you’re pretty much left guessing when the superphone will arrive in your possession.
And there’s one very important caveat here. Because of its 3G/4G HSPA bands, this unlocked Ion will work on both AT&T and T-Mobile in the States, but you’ll only get 3G and 4G (both HSPA+ and LTE) connectivity on AT&T. If you use it on T-Mobile, you’re stuck on EDGE. You’ll also get high speed HSPA+ access in most of the world, if that makes you feel any better.
So why would you buy this unlocked only to use it on AT&T, when soon you’ll be able to get it subsidized from the carrier itself? We don’t know. But perhaps you do.
Via Android Central
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- AT&T-compatible Nokia Lumia 800 now available in the US unlocked for $789.99
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S can now be ordered in the US for $499.99 unlocked
- Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo V now available in the US unlocked for $349.99, Xperia Arc S in stock too
- Sony Xperia Advance now available in the US, costs around $250 unlocked
- Sony Xperia ST27i ‘Lotus’ gets leaked, may be the successor to the Xperia Active