Motorola has finally posted its initial timeline for updating its devices to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This is, of course, subject to change, but we welcome the transparency here, even though it doesn’t bring great news.
The Motorola Xoom tablets sold in the US count as Google Experience devices, and as such have begun receiving the update to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in January. How come? Well, because Google maintains the update code for Google Experience devices.
For every other device, it’s Motorola itself which has to create the update. And that’s where things get lazy. See, no Moto device will see an ICS update before April at the earliest. Some devices, like the recently launched Xoom 2 and Xoom 2 Media Edition tablets will only get their taste of ICS in the third quarter of this year – that’s between July and September! And Ice Cream Sandwich was announced in October of last year.
So it will take Motorola almost one full year to issue some of these updates. That’s just… something to think about when purchasing non-Nexus non-Google Experience Android devices in the future. Seriously, if you care about always running the latest software versions, keep this stuff in mind.
Here’s the full list that Motorola has published today:
Detailed information on all the different ‘phases’ is available here at Motorola.
As you can see, the internationally-selling Xoom and the RAZR will be the first to get their ICS updates pushed out by Motorola. But the vague time frame of “Q2″ can sadly mean that they’ll be out in June.
So if you own any of the above Motorola gadgets, you should be (or quickly become) a very patient person, for there’s a whole lot of waiting still left to do until you’ll see the latest version of Android in action.
Via Droid Life
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Motorola Atrix HD gets Jelly Bean in December, update time frames for other devices detailed too
- Motorola Xoom Wi-Fi and 3G all finally getting updated to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in the UK
- Android 4.0 news: Verizon Motorola Xoom gets updated on June 4, T-Mobile Galaxy S II on June 11
- Wi-Fi-only Motorola Xoom tablets in the US are now being updated to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean
- Verizon posts Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich updates list. HTC, Motorola, Samsung and LG devices included