Yesterday, while the world was busy with pranks (funny or not), Fujitsu decided to acquire Toshiba’s stake in the two companies’ mobile joint venture. As such, Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications (FTMC) officially is no more.
In its place now stands Fujitsu Mobile Communications Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu.
FTMC was established in October of 2010, with Fujitsu holding the majority of shares (80.1%), and Toshiba holding the remaining 19.9% of the shares. Since then and up until yesterday, FTMC was a consolidated subsidiary of the Fujitsu group.
FTMC, and now Fujitsu Mobile Communications is best known in Japan, where it makes phones for carriers such as KDDI. One notable phone churned out by FTMC in recent months was the IS12T, which managed to become the first device to run Windows Phone Mango (7.5) last year.
Panasonic is another Japanese phone maker that’s looking to strike it big elsewhere this year, so this will be an interesting fight to watch. Right now it’s impossible to tell whether these vendors will be successful outside of Japan, but we’ll be here to report on their progress.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- The world’s first Windows Phone Mango handset: Fujitsu Toshiba IS12T
- Fujitsu’s Windows Phone Mango handset priced in Japan
- Fujitsu to launch Android and Windows Phone devices in Europe this year
- The world’s first Windows Phone Mango handset could be the Fujitsu IS12T
- Windows Phone Mango handsets from Samsung, HTC and LG expected to arrive in September