Samsung has created a neat little FAQ page for its upcoming updates to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. This concerns only devices being sold in the US. The list features Wi-Fi-only tablets, and phones from all carriers except T-Mobile. That omission is a bit strange, but Samsung tries to assure us that it’s nothing big. The full text from the manufacturer goes like this:
“We are in close communication with T-Mobile to ensure that eligible devices are upgraded to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich in the coming months and will provide updates as we have additional details to share.”
So if you own an Android device bought from T-Mobile, we still can’t tell you whether it will ever receive an official ICS update or not.
The situation is clearer for the other carriers. So without further ado, here’s the current list of devices that will be updated:
- Galaxy S II (SGH-i777)
- Galaxy S II Skyrocket (SGH-i727)
- Galaxy Note (SGH-i717)
- Captivate Glide (SGH-i927)
- Nexus S (SGH-i9020A)
- Galaxy Tab 8.9 (SGH-i957)
- Galaxy Tab 10.1 (SCH-i905)
- Galaxy Tab 7.7 (SCH-i815)
Sprint’s Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch is also on the list. The Nexus S 4G has already been updated. Also, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Tab 8.9, and Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi-only tablets will get to taste an Ice Cream Sandwich soon too.
Unfortunately it seems like we’re far from seeing any actual release time frames at this point. But the above list is a first step. Samsung does mention that it will update the list when needed, so here’s hoping that you won’t be waiting for long to see your particular Samsung device running the absolute latest version of Google’s mobile operating system.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Samsung adds T-Mobile devices to ICS update list
- Samsung Galaxy S i9000 and Galaxy Tab P1000 won’t get Android Ice Cream Sandwich because of hardware limitations
- Verizon posts Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich updates list. HTC, Motorola, Samsung and LG devices included
- Android 4.0 news: Verizon Motorola Xoom gets updated on June 4, T-Mobile Galaxy S II on June 11
- Android Ice Cream Sandwich for Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note coming in Q1 2012