After weeks upon weeks of speculation, today we have the official confirmation, straight from Samsung: not only is the Galaxy S III going to be launched by no less than five US carriers, but those launches are all going to happen later this month.
Aside from the ‘big four’ (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint), US Cellular will be releasing Samsung’s newest flagship Android smartphone, just like we heard it would.
Samsung is letting each carrier announce its respective release date on its own, so we’ll have to wait for some more press releases in order to get all those details. Yet we already know when Sprint will be unveiling its version of the popular smartphone: on June 12. The carrier has put out an invite for the event already, spotted by AndroidSPIN.
As for pricing, Samsung only mentions it will start at $199. So at least one carrier will offer the Galaxy S III at that price (probably after a mail-in rebate though) with a new two-year contract.
Interestingly, unlike what they did with their Galaxy S variants, it seems that carriers won’t customize the Galaxy S III’s hardware. Or at least not beyond adding their logos to it. Samsung is pretty proud to say that it will deliver ”the same iconic smartphone design and premium content sharing experience with customized AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and U.S. Cellular services”. Of course, this wording is vague enough that it could turn out to mean anything, but we’re hoping we’ll see more similar hardware from the different carriers than in past years.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Samsung Galaxy Note II priced at $299.99 by US Cellular, available by the end of October
- Verizon will take pre-orders for Samsung Galaxy S III starting June 6. US Cellular’s S III will be released in July
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates for Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint,T-Mobile and US Cellular) officially coming soon
- Verizon’s Samsung Galaxy S III joins Sprint’s in being priced at $0.01, AT&T’s version now $49.99
- Samsung: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates for Galaxy S III US variants will be out in the coming months