5” Pantech Vega S5 goes after Samsung’s Galaxy S3 with 13mpx camera, “Zero Bezel” narrower form factor
As things stand now – Samsung Galaxy S3 may be THE Android phone to best by anyone, this year. Can someone do that? Soon?
It seems they can.
The challenger comes from another Korean company – Pantech. In the form of Vega S5 Android LTE smartphone. It comes with a bigger – 5” instead of 4.8” (on S3) display. But, thanks’ to a “Zero Bezel” technology, is actually narrower then Samsung’s flagship. Pantech Vega S5 is only 6.89mm wide compared to Galaxy S3’s 8.6mm. It also got a higher resolution – 13 megapixel – camera too.
The specs of Vega S5 Patech chose to reveal today include:
- Qualcomm S4 Snapdragon MSM8960 CPU
- Android 4.0 ICS
- 5” 720×1280 IPS display
- 13 megapixel camera with continuous autofocus and zero shutter lag
- 2100 mAh battery, with 11 hrs of talk time
It all sounds pretty impressive. But there’s some bad news about Vega S5 too.
First – its price. Somewhere around $800 (900K Won) in Korea.
And more bad news.
Pantech, being mostly Korean smartphone maker with very limited distribution abroad, chose to do its new flagship as an exclusive project with SK Telecom. Vega S5 comes with its own, carrier customized Android skin/apps, and chances of you getting it outside of Korea are close to nil.
Still, if Pantech can do it in Korea, maybe they’ll decide to expand with the new Galaxy S3 killer abroad too. Or someone else, like HTC or Motorola, will take a hint and release something like it this fall.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Pantech’s 5 inch Full HD IM-A870 Android smartphone called Vega Iron
- Pantech Vega No. 6 launched outside Korea
- Pantech Vega No.6 arrives in Korea in February with 5.9″ 1080p screen, quad-core CPU
- Pantech Vega Racer 2: 4.8″ HD display, ceramic body and LTE chip inside
- Pantech Vega Racer 2 may be coming to AT&T as the Magnus, HD screen and all