Last we heard, Facebook was working with HTC to launch a new Facebook-branded phone “by next year.”
Now Bloomberg, which spoke to people with knowledge of the matter, is reporting that Facebook has delayed the handset’s release to mid 2013, in order to “give HTC more time to work on other products.”
Bloomberg has also re-confirmed what The New York Times unveiled back in May: Facebook has hired ex-Apple employees to develop and enhance mobile software – including improving its iOS app.
There’s still no word on what the upcoming phone will bring in terms of features, except, of course, deep Facebook integration. In any case, I’d be shocked if the device won’t run Android, or a modified version of it.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Facebook’s own phone to be made by ex-Apple employees, should be out “by next year”
- Two Facebook Android phones from INQ coming next year?
- Zuckerberg denies Facebook phone’s existence
- Did Microsoft offer Nokia $1 billion to choose Windows Phone over Android?
- Facebook phone made by HTC to be announced on April 4?