Samsung Galaxy S III to get Jelly Bean at the end of September, Galaxy S II, Note, and Note II in Q4
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was announced at the end of June as the smoothest and most lagless version of Android to date. Since then, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Samsung Nexus S have been updated to this version of the OS. However, as is usually the case, non-Nexus devices can still only dream about Jelly Bean.
It now looks like one of the first manufacturers to come out with JB updates for its smartphones will be Samsung. According to information gathered by SamMobile (but not confirmed by Samsung), the Galaxy S III will be the first Samsung phone to get the newest version of Google’s mobile operating system. The update will happen at the end of September or beginning of October.
Also around the beginning of October, the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 2 should be updated to JB. It’s worth noting that this will only happen if Samsung’s second phablet will be launched running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The Korean company apparently isn’t sure at this point if it will manage to get JB ready for the Note 2 in time.
The Samsung Galaxy S II and the original Galaxy Note will get their JB treat sometime during the fourth quarter of this year, so between October and December. Both these phones are still in the “testing update” phase. Apparently so far all’s gone well and they should get JB. However, even if for some reason they don’t (no matter how outrageous that would be), Samsung will at least provide ‘value pack’ updates for these devices.
There’s no intel yet on when updates for tablets will happen. Hopefully that doesn’t mean that they’ll be pushed to next year.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Samsung Galaxy S II and Galaxy Note Android 4.1 Jelly Bean updates apparently confirmed
- Official Android Jelly Bean updates for Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000) and Galaxy Ace 2 i8160 coming soon
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3110 Android Jelly Bean update started
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update for Samsung Galaxy S III is reportedly “almost ready”. S II update being tested, too
- Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 Android Jelly Bean update starts rolling out