Intel Inside. Not something you’re used to reading off of a smartphone’s back cover. But get ready, for that may change in the future. Not today, not tomorrow, not even in 2013 perhaps. But at some point, your smartphone may be powered by an Intel processor. The company nicknamed ‘chipzilla’ isn’t going to give up until it can compete in the mobile space. And this year has seen it try harder than ever.
After the Lava XOLO X900, the Orange San Diego, and the Lenovo K800, MegaFon’s Mint is the next smartphone to have Intel’s Atom Z2460 processor under the hood. MegaFon is a Russian carrier that’s apparently following into the footsteps of Orange, the first carrier to release an own-brand Intel device.
The MegaFon Mint is available today in the carrier’s retail outlets, and it will set you back 17,990 rubles (that’s approximately $565 or €455 if you’re wondering).
The smartphone has that 1.6 GHz single-core Atom processor, alongside a 4.03-inch 600×1024 touchscreen, 1 GB of RAM, an 8 MP rear camera, a 1.3 MP front-facing camera, 16 GB of built-in storage, all the usual connectivity options (including NFC), and a 1,460 mAh battery. Disappointingly, the version of Android running the show here is 2.3.7 Gingerbread.
If these specs sound familiar, it’s because they’re virtually identical to those of every other aforementioned Intel smartphone launched this year. Basically, all of these companies have used Intel’s reference design with minor (or no) tweaks. For example, the MegaFon Mint seems to be running the SPB Shell 3D launcher atop Android, and comes with some unnamed MegaFon-specific apps.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Lava XOLO X900 is the first Intel-powered Android smartphone, will be released in India on April 23
- Motorola will launch Intel Atom based Android smartphones, tablets
- Orange Android on Atom Z2460. 14 day standby, 6 hrs of HD video, 8 hrs talk time. This time Intel is for real
- Intel brings Android to Atom-based smartphones
- Orange announces Intel-based Santa Clara Android phone, HTC One X, HTC One S, and white Sony Xperia U