Today’s a good day to own a Motorola Droid RAZR M for Verizon. That’s because those who have this device in hand should be receiving an update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean any minute now. A few lucky RAZR M owners have already gotten the new bits and pieces, and it’s certainly nice to see Motorola push out a new OS version so soon after a phone was released (which, incidentally, happened exactly two months ago). Sure, the now Google-owned company did promise a quick update to Jelly Bean, but its track record has been anything but stellar on this front. Perhaps that Google ownership is starting to really make an impact over at Motorola.
The update is of the over-the-air variety, and as such will reach RAZR M devices in stages. When yours is ready to download and install Jelly Bean, it will notify you (as above).
After updating you’ll be running software version 98.12.4 (Android 4.1.1). Aside from everything that stock 4.1 brings to the table (Project Butter, expandable notifications, Google Now, and so on), this update changes the on-screen navigation buttons’ design, from a squarish one unique to Motorola to the ‘stock’ feel found in Android Jelly Bean (you can see the ‘before and after’ in the two images above – to the left is the ‘old’ Moto way, to the right what you’ll have in Jelly Bean).
The update should make it to all the Droid RAZR Ms out there in the next few days, so if it hasn’t reached you just yet – don’t panic. It’s definitely on the way now.
Of course, you may know that Android 4.2 got released by Google today. Unfortunately though, if you own a RAZR M you’ll have to make do with 4.1 for now. Google hasn’t yet announced when or if this device will get the absolute latest version of its mobile OS.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Android Jelly Bean updates for Verizon’s Motorola Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD rolling out now
- Motorola RAZR HD XT925, Razr i, Razr M and Electrify M will be updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean in Q1 2013
- Verizon’s original Motorola Droid Razr and Razr Maxx getting Android Jelly Bean as of now
- Verizon Motorola Droid Bionic will get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean starting April 15
- Verizon’s Motorola Droid Razr HD and Razr Maxx HD launching on October 18