The Odin may end up being sold as the Sony Xperia X. That’s got a nice sound to it, and the letter X is very used in all sorts of branding. However, Sony is slowly going to run out of letters to slap on its products after the Xperia name, so it will be interesting to see how it handles that situation.
In the meantime, the Japanese company is surely getting ready for CES at the beginning of 2013. That’s where and when the Xperia Z will get unveiled.
An interesting thing to note here is that, for all intents and purposes, the Xperia X and the Xperia Z are pretty much identical in terms of specs. Apparently, they’ll be sold in different parts of the world. IT168 lets us read between the lines that the Xperia Z will get a North American launch, and the Xperia X will be its sibling for international markets.
This may be akin to what happened this year, with the Xperia Ion (initially North America-only, then sold in very few other countries and territories as well), and the Xperia S, its internationally-sold sibling.
The Xperia Z and Xperia X will differ in appearance though, so there’s no chance you’ll confuse one for the other (unless Sony’s traditionally blocky designs make you generally confuse all of the company’s smartphones with one another).
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Sony Xperia X (Odin) to be the dual-SIM version of the Xperia Z (Yuga), design details leaked
- Sony LT29i Hayabusa (international Xperia GX) smiles for the camera in leaked pictures
- Sony C5303 HuaShan leaked, may be a midranger
- US-friendly Sony Ericsson Xperia X1a delayed until January 2009?
- Sony Xperia S (Nozomi) official details leak ahead of imminent announcement