Toshiba really isn’t known for timely updates to new Android versions, so this may come as a surprise to some of you. The Toshiba Excite 7.7 now has an update to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean on the way.
The Excite 7.7 was launched back in April alongside a couple of bigger tablets, and it comes with a quad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor and an AMOLED touchscreen with Gorilla Glass. So far it has been running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Not anymore, though. Over-the-air an update notification will come, and if you choose to download and install the Jelly Bean software, you’ll then be running Android 4.1.1 (build JRO03C). Be aware, though, that the download comes in at 348 MB, so it may take a while to complete depending on your connection speed.
It’s good to see Toshiba update what probably isn’t one of its best sellers. On the other hand, this still isn’t the latest version of Android, and whether or not you’ll ever get to run 4.2.1 on your Excite 7.7 is a mystery at this point.
Via Android Police
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- HTC One XL Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update starts rolling out in Asia
- Toshiba intros three new quad-core Android ICS tablets: Excite 7.7, Excite 10, and Excite 13
- T-Mobile’s Samsung Galaxy S III gets updated to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
- Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 officially receiving Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update starting today
- US Cellular Samsung Galaxy Axiom Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update now out