At this point it’s certain that Huawei will officially unveil its Ascend P2 smartphone during Mobile World Congress in Barcelona at the end of the month. The Chinese company split its biggest launches this year between CES and MWC, just like it did one year ago.
The Ascend P2 has been leaking a lot lately, and now we get one more live image of someone having one in his hand (looks like a man’s, doesn’t it?). But wait, there’s more!
Apparently the P2 will be dust and water proof too, just like its physically larger sibling, the Ascend D2 presented in January. However, the rating will be different. While the D2 has an IP67 certification, the Ascend P2 will ‘only’ get IP54.
That means it won’t actually withstand being immersed in water, but will have nothing against splashes (from any direction). In terms of dust, the P2 will be ‘dust protected’, but not ‘dust tight’ like the D2.
This has happened because of the different construction and materials used for the P2 by Huawei. And quite possibly its rumored world-class thinness may have hindered the company’s efforts to make it even more dust and water proof. But no matter – it’s more protected against the elements than most smartphones these days, and Huawei is surely hoping that people will notice that and use it in their phone picking procedures.
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Leaked Nokia 3720 is dust and splash resistant
- Rugged (water and dust proof) Samsung Galaxy S4 coming soon?
- 6.1″ Huawei Ascend Mate and 5″ 1080p Huawei Ascend D2 officially announced, headed to China soon
- Fujitsu to show dust/water-proof Quad-core Tegra 3 Android ICS smartphone with 13.1 mpx camera at MWC
- Casing for upcoming 6.3 mm aluminum Huawei Edge leaked?