Well, this is interesting. Asus announced that its PadFone 2 phone+tablet combo will be out in the UK on March 1, priced at £599.99.
This is the PadFone 2 we’re talking about here, keep that in mind. This device was announced in October of last year. This isn’t the PadFone Infinity that the Taiwanese company unveiled just a few hours ago.
So it looks like Asus has got itself a PadFone range. The Infinity is the high-end device, with its top-notch specs and £799 price, while the PadFone 2 will be an upper-midrange offering retailing for a full £200 less. All prices include the respective tablet docks, since Asus doesn’t want to sell just the phone part by itself.
While the PadFone Infinity is insanely expensive, the PadFone 2 seems reasonably priced in comparison. That said, it’s still more expensive (by quite a margin) that similarly specced phones, and even than higher-end devices. So Asus’ bet here is that you’ll think you’re actually getting two devices for the price. We’ll see how well that’s going to work.
But if you’re in the UK and simply need to have a PadFone as soon as possible, look for the PadFone 2 in stores in a few days. A release date hasn’t yet been announced for the PadFone Infinity, but we’ll keep you posted of course.
Via Tech Digest
If you liked the post, you might find these interesting too:
- Asus Padfone, Transformer Pad Infinity, Transformer Pad 300 priced in Europe, launching in May-June
- Asus announces the 5″ 1080p PadFone Infinity with 10.1″ tablet dock, 7″ FonePad with Intel CPU
- Padfone Infinity pre-orders now open in Asus’ home country, April release reconfirmed
- Android-based Asus Padfone announced: a phone and a tablet in one product (video)
- More Pics of Asus Padfone revealed